Monday, January 22, 2018

Hobby Hangout Holiday Swap

Hobby Hangout 

When the holiday swap came around this year, I immediately jumped on the opportunity. For me, this was to be a kick in the rear to get started painting again. Moving to Florida was a great thing, but at the same time has isolated me from my hobby and gaming in general. As a result, I have slowly spiraled further down until the thought of painting was horrifying. With some requirements and a deadline, I knew that I had to move forward with something and a limited amount of time to get to work. So I selected something to which I had targeted for a future Preserver or Raider warband for This Is Not A Test, but that may or may not come about and so off to a new owner. 

Miniature Selection

Mr. Pretty
I selected one of the new pieces from Brigade Games that was released from the Kickstarter campaign. The range brought a bunch of amazing figures for any wasteland needs, even some modern skirmish games. There are a number of other great products from Brigade Games, so check them out and if you like what you see then follow them on facebook.

The entire range is fantastic, but there was something great about this piece that was calling to me. I had personally names him, Mr. Pretty, though to my knowledge he has no official name. To me, Mr. Pretty makes for a perfect Lorekeeper for a Preserver warband. His dapper style, bowler hat, and topped off with a gas mask, Uzi, and walking stick. If you'd like a Mr. Pretty of your own, well you need to pick up one from the Apocalypse Wastelanders - 3 Raiders I set ($24.00).

The finished miniature was shipped off to Andrew Carter. I am hoping that Andrew is inspired to check out This Is Not A Test and start some wasteland adventures of his own. Andrew made a vlog entry about the miniature and you can find it on his Artimage YouTube channel

Painting Process

Mr. Pretty (front)
Though scrounging for his wares in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, Mr. Pretty is always sure to be well appointed and presentable. I started with the bowler hat. I know that makes no sense, but that's where I started. I went with Vallejo Model Color Grey Black then used the Light Grey to give it a worn look. The band is Citadel Bleached Bone to match the shirt. It is important to be color coordinated.

The shirt, an impressive Citadel Bleached Bone with French cuffs provides elegance and a sense of status. Looking at the cut of the bottom, it appears that Mr. Pretty has optioned a shirt from the new Untuct line. This was washed with some Vallejo Flesh Wash to give it a bit of depth and a little of the worn appearance.

How Mr. Pretty keeps such well-pressed (and stain free) pants is a matter for another post, but clearly indicates his prowess and power. These were painted up with Model Color Blue Grey with a Model Wash Light Grey wash. Highlighting with the Light Grey helped tie it all together.
Mr. Pretty (rear)
Now, no wastelander could be considered well-equipped without a gas mask and some steel plating. The gas mask was the same black grey with a Vallejo Dark Grey Model Wash. The lenses are Vallejo Model Color Blue Grey with Folk Art Metallic Chocolate Brown rims. Now, the color for the Folk Art paint was great, but the thickness leaves quite a bit to be desired. It was perfect for fixing the Master Command Sergeant Statue, but took some work for miniature painting.

The base is round lip 30mm resin base from the Cobblestone 30MM set ($11.99 for 10) from Secret Weapon Miniatures. The cobbles on the street were painted using a couple of varieties of greys (Reaper Concrete Grey and Model Color Light Grey) and washes (Vallejo European Dust and Brown Wash). The brick surround for the sewer cover were done with Model Color Flat Red with a few layers of wash. The sewer cover was painted using the Folk Art Metallic Chocolate Brown washed with Model Color Dark Rust.

The gun was first painted with Anita's Metallic Craft Paint - Tin Roof Rust and then some washes of Nuln Oil applied. The non-metallic parts were painted with Model Color Black Grey. The holster, bags, and straps were painted using Army Painter Leader Brown and Citadel Snakebite Leather.

My Gift

Wasteland Melee (front)
I received a wonderfully painted Wasteland Melee ($9.99) from Bombshell Miniatures. I happen to be also working on my version of this same miniature, but this is great. A very natural looking Melee done in earth tones and looking well fit appropriately dusty. This fantastic paint job was done by Ken Horton of the Battle Badgers club.

Wasteland Melee (rear)
I don't know much about this base though it is a really great piece. The wrench really seems to pop out to me and the look of one that would be in a set.

This figure will go great with a larger project to which I am every so slowly working to complete. Part of that will require getting over a fear of using my air brush. I am hopeful that I can conquer that soon with my garage remodel. In that Wasteland Melee will be appropriately set-up with her Rocket Fuel Gas Station and Service Shop. It will be complete with Ice Machine, Soda Vending, Gas Pumps, Rocket Bike Repair...everything you need to explore the wastes.

Upcoming

Since I've been getting back into this a bit slowly, I'll be working on a bunch of markers and small pieces that I have received or acquired for scenery stuff. Then the plan is to complete some started pieces and move onto a few characters for the kids for our D&D campaign.

1 comment: