Monday, March 31, 2014

Purple worm!

I have had this Reaper Bones Great Worm hanging around me for a while. I decided to pursue the traditional purple worm from Dungeons and Dragons. I started this with a Citadel Liche Purple for the top side and Citadel Iyanden Dark sun for the underbelly. There is a long way to go on this one and right now it looms like the demon spawn of the Denver Broncos, but some more layers and some washes and we will be in business.

Monday, March 24, 2014

Resurrected this old GW Mummy

After painting up the Reaper Bones Cleric for the challenge, I decided he needed someone to fight. I resurrected this GW mummy I had started quite some time ago. I picked up some Citadel Nihilikah Oxide and some Vallejo Dark Rust model wash. I used both all over and started the base using the Citadel Blackfire Earth texture paint. I did a modest dry brush with some Citadel Iyanden Darksun. Going to add some Gale Force Nine Arid Static Grass to finish it off. This was fun and I am very happy with it...of course comments welcome.

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Some better photos and better contrast/highlights

Many thanks to those on Google+ and Facebook who provided some additional feedback on this miniature. I did a heavier wash with the Vallejo grey wash on the armor, especially in the shadowy places. I also created a red wash using a dark brown wash with some ruby red, both Citadel paints. I then highlighted the cape with some drybrushing of blazing orange from Citadel as well.

The lighting is better as I turned the light away and then used some paper to diffuse the light out of the bulb. This and turning off all other lighting sources seems to have helped greatly. I'll have to make up an actual painting platform so I can get better shots. A solid black base and a solid black backdrop should help.

Thanks to Reaper and the Paint my Bones! Facebook group or inspiring this. Now to knock out all of the undead Bones figures so he has something to fight.

Reaper Bones Cleric finished

I took some time tonight to finish up my entry for the Reaper Bones Paint My Bones! Facebook group challenge this month. I may add a little highlighting tomorrow after taking another look at it. I added a little gold highlight to the chain, but not sure it is sufficient. I may also need another wash on the armor and some highlight for the hair. I finished up the hammer using the Citadel Boltgun Metal for the head and point, Beaten Copper for the metal highlights, Fiery Orange for the middle section of the hammer, and Charadon granite for the pole. The belt and scabbard are made using Army Painter Leather Brown and the handle of the short sword is the Citadel Beaten copper. The base was covered in the Citadel Stirland Mud with the Dead Winter static grass from Gale Force Nine and some highland grass from Army Painter.

I am not a fan generally of the bases holding the Bones figures up. So far I have only seen a few that are close to the "right" size and many are quite small, making the figure unstable. Overall I am pleased with this, though it is still apparent that I need to get better at eyes (always the hardest thing for me) and I'm still working through working with the Bones material and paint.

Feedback, always welcome.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Reaper Bones Cleric painting challenge update

Update on the Reaper Bones Cleric painting challenge from the Facebook Paint My Bones group. I finished off the book mostly with a snakebite leather cover and beaten copper corners. I finished painting the armor and washed with a Vallejo Light Grey wash. I also used it on the Grenadier Dwarves, but that update will come later. I think I am in good shape to get this wrapped up tomorrow night, and just in time. Just a few pieces and some highlighting and its another one in the books.

Monday, March 17, 2014

Reaper Bones cleric painting challenge

A little while ago, the Paint My Bones group on Facebook put up a new painting challenge. It is using one of the Reaper Bones Cleric figures. The deadline is the 20th, so naturally I started painting tonight and gave myself 4 days to complete and submit.

I was battling the color scheme a while in my head, fighting between a cleric of Helm (Forgotten Realms setting) or of Pelor (traditional Dungeons and Dragons). As you can see below, I started with a bold cloak (Citadel Mechrite Red). Added the armor (Citadel Bolt gun metal) with red trim (Citadel Blood Angels Red). The tabards are two additional reds; lower (Citadel Crimson Gore) and upper (Citadel Ruby Red). Book pages are a base of Citadel Bleached Bone with  a Citadel Devlan Mud wash and the connection chain is Citadel Beaten Copper.

Monday, March 10, 2014

Imperial Guard Sentinels

I am working on a set of Imperial Guard Sentinels and wanted to get some feedback on one concept. Over the weekend while hanging with the guys and playing some D&D, I spent some time taking some Valkyrie pieces off the sprue and mock up the assembly. I decided to use the middle pods for this mod to a sentinel. This has been floating around in my head for a while and is based on the Zhentradi missile pod guys from Robotech. Not sure how I feel yet and may have to mod a little more.